latest Reviews and articles
- Food / Wine
- Life and Style
- London to Brussels return
- Waiter, Waitress, Barman, Kitchen Porter Wanted in London
- French conversational lessons & activities for children and teenagers
- JOB VACANCY !! JOB VACANCY !!! JOB VACANCY !!!!
Where to find the best bread in London
Ever been frustrated by the lack of Boulangeries on London Street corners? Tired of eating toasted Tesco loafs and tough pita, dripping with hummus or olive oil to add flavour? Distressed by the extraordinarily slow pace at which all Paul employees seem to move, (is this part of the hiring criteria?)
Well, here is a list, in no particular order, of the best places to get a delicious and fresh loaf of bread in London. Yes, it is possible. And carb-free diets are so nineties. As Francis Bacon once said, ‘Acorns were good until bread was found.’
- 122 Kensington Church Street, W8 4BH, 020 7229 2190
Bread fanatic Sally Clarke's team hand shapes and bakes over 2000 products per night. Offers a wide range of breads as well as delicious brioche, croissants, and both sweet and savory tarts.
- 63 Ledbury Road, W11 2AD, 020 7727 1121
- 287 Upper St., N1 2TZ, 020-7288 1454
- 1 Holland Street, W8 4NA
Moans of approval are to be heard far and wide, but perhaps you didn’t know that their bread is among the best on offer. They call themselves the haute couture of the food-to-go world and the loaves certainly rise to this challenge.
- 138 Portobello Road, W11 2DZ, 0207 460 0766
- 64 Hampstead High Street, NW3 1QH, 0207 794 5700
- 33-35 Exmouth Market, EC1R 4QL, 0207 713 6550
At Gail’s they say you really only need flour, water, salt and yeast. Of course, the lovely atmosphere in each of the artisan bakery’s nine locations around London doesn’t hurt its population either. The bread ‘purists’ are, however, known to ad nuts, fruits, vegetables or herbs to their variety of delicious loaves, made by hand daily.
Baker & Spice
- 54-56 Elizabeth Street, SW1 9PB, 0207 730 5524
- 47 Denyer Street, SW2 2LX, 0207 225 3417
- 20 Clifton Road, W9 1SU, 0207 289 2499
Famous for outstanding cakes and pastries, their croissants have been heralded as ‘iconic.’ But sourdough loaves are also sworn by and all baked goods are not only organic but also impressively fresh.